7.09.2009

Preparation and Reports

It's been two days back in town and I've been getting my beauty sleep. Loving it. Today I'm working on the shopping list for the 17 day Limestone Gap expedition. The details of this journey are:

1. No ovens (unless I construct a solar oven)
2. Water is inported from glacial streams via gas pumps and will have to be treated
3. Burn all trash
4. 5000 feet above sea level, thus cooking times should be shorter
5. Two camp stoves, with 6 burners in total
6. Stevo is working on a brewing operation - Limestone Gap Ale
7. Squirrels are the greatest threat to my food supply. Squirrels on skewers will be appetizer if they mess around with me.
8. Food is to be organized prior to departure and will be dropped off weekly via bushplane
9. Our transport is by truck southward near Anchorage to an air field, from the air field we fly one person at a time to the mountain site. Each person will need to carry a few food items with them just so we get everything there, hopefully.
10. This will be a primitive camp setup. Tent, camp stoves, folding tables, treated water, a few totes of food, sleeping bag... guitar.

Looking out the window, the haze is still hanging around.

A note on the elevator for the baseball living on the same dorm floor as me. Note the 'see Santa Clause' towards the bottom. Santa Clause is up here 24/7 - 365 days a year.

This is what I've stocked up on and have as leftovers. My goal during each previous shopping venture was to pick up bits and pieces of the bulk items I will need for Limestone Gap. There's more than what I expected to be leftover, which is a good thing because now we're ahead on the purchasing. I just need to get to meats, canned vegetables and fruits, bread, dairy, coffee, tang, cookies and a few other basic items. From there I have to package them up in 2' x 1' boxes and label them. Another challenge is that I have to plan out a menu with all this food stuff. Give me whatever and I will make something delicious. That's my challenge over the next 24 hours, I'll probably stay up all night doing it because this is fun and well I don't sleep in this city anyway. I've had my beauty sleep, now let's rock it out for another 3 weeks.

Our water system.

Right now we're getting about 1 gallon per hour per water filter. 4 gallons in 1 hour. I will be the waterboy this time around.

The students are working on their Denali reports.