4.08.2010

Ghost Auroras

Satellite Enivronment Plot from NOAA/NWS Space Weather Prediction Center


Today is a great day. I woke up and checked our current geomagnetic status and sure enough we had some unsettled activity. I then brushed my teeth, got dressed, and went to the computer lab to send out an all station email regarding how to check for auroral activity on the web and the possibility of auroras today. Sure enough, within minutes, folks were fleeing to the porch. As soon as I got there someone goes, "Cody I just got your email and there are auroras outside." You can faintly see them below.. they are white bands stemming from the sunlight. Although washed out and faint due to weak strength, this is a sign that this season is going to be awesome for auroras.


Here is D and I looking at some aurora data. He has a camera set up 1,000 miles away from here and the pictures he got a few days ago of the auroras is mind blowing.

Chef F has put together an insulated box heated by a chunk of metal thrown into the oven at 350. This allows him to keep his laptop and camera warm for up to 2 hours in -70 F. It enables long time lapse footage. I can't wait to see his nightime vids.

Raul busted out a tasty thai lunch... here he is playing with the chicken.

For dinner I made some caramel cupcakes.

I took the leftover peanut butter fudge from yesterday, melted it, added a bit of truffle chocolate, poured it into a graham cracker crust, then topped it off with ground cookies and butter. I baked it for about 8 minutes then chilled it until stiff.

Brocolli and cheese casserole.

Chicken cordon bleu. A new dish for me. Breaded chicken breast stuffed with ham and swiss cheese.

After work there was a pool tourny.

Outside in the shadows of the station I am just waiting for more auroras.