4.04.2009

Gummy Shark

First you take some blue bait and gang hook it. Use some twine if you have to and wrap it around the bait so that the crabs don't steal it.

Then you cast it about 10 meters off the shoreline. Cast it right in the gully between the shoreline and the sand bar, at high tide. I did all that and after two minutes I felt some hits and knew I had my first fish in Oz.

Hello gummy shark. Gummy shark is a local delicacy. The fish and chips shop in Loch Sport calls it 'Flake'. Better yet, 'Flake and Fries'. Gummy shark has no teeth and is harmless, it is common in the '90 mile beach' waters and is also very tasty.

Andrew threw his cast out just a minute or two after I reeled in the first gummy, and moments later he caught an even bigger one. Two gummies in five minutes. Before the both of us began fishing, we gave tobacco offerings to the sea. This is a common practice/art for the natives of North America, and I feel that it's a way to give thanks and a proper way of making your intention known. We put out our need to catch fish, otherwise we would be subject to ham n kaas n annanas tostees (Dutch :) ) and I felt like I could use some natural omego oils since my bones and joints have been growing recently. At the end we both said that we would just be really thankful to have a taste of one of Australia's finest sharks.

After the catch, clean, and cut I put together some homemade cocktail and tartar sauce. Then I fried up some sweet and reg. potato steak fries. Flake and fries.