2.08.2010

Hello South Pole!

The day after our boomerang to Pole we of course had to go into work. It was a fun day.

I did up a greek veg. medley with deep fried tempeh and for once I liked the way the tempeh came out. My moose has been on the ingredient order board for more than 10 days now.

Yesterday morning at 6 AM we headed to the Pegasus airfield... again. I've been there 5 times over the last week.

You can see Francis and Jakobi looking at the emperor penguin off in the distance.

Transantarctic mountains...

Are we going to make it?

Yup.

Once we landed Chef Francis showed Raul and I the crypt of the station where all our food is held.

Outside it was about -35 F, from here on out it's only going to get colder. During winter snow drifts pile up along the buildings. This is leftover from last winter.

Then we checked out the greenhouse. Leaf greens, sunflowers, kale, bok choi, chard, basil, strawberries are getting planted, etc.

Harvest records. I will be spending lots of time helping out the greenhouse tech. to ensure we get plenty of herbs.

A poster regarding sustainable urban farm skyscrapers...

The babies.

Sprout seeds.

Then I had to grab my two packages from the mail box sent from the US + 6 guard mail packages I sent from McMurdo + guitar + 3 check-in luggage bags and haul them through many sets of doors and many steps. It took me about an hour and half to get to this point...

The hardest thing so far has been adjusting to the altitude. The altitude pills they give us make us shaky and our hands go numb. It's hard to sleep. You drink so much water and pee at least 10 times a day. I walk a flight of steps and am out of breath. They say we can't work out for a week or doing anything stressful to the heart and lungs. In winter it sometimes feels like 14,000 feet above sea level due to atmospheric conditions even though we are only 9,300 feet above sea level. Everest is like 22,000 fasl.

Here's the B Pod (we have 3 pods on station: A1, A4, and B1) game room.

The B Pod quiet lounge.

The science facility.

The main hallway.


I've heard that we're going to take the palm trees and make a tiki hut bar... just one of the many festive things to spice up the winter life.

The gym.
IceCube is the main science project on station. Looking for Neutrinos deep down under the ice. ANITA, which I painted a picture for last year, was looking for the audible sounds associated with Neutrino-Earth particle collisions coming from the Ice. IceCube is more direct.
The band room.
One of the many bands that have originated here. Folks say the Pole bands are the best. Maybe because we have time to shed our light?
And the emergency equipment lockers along the hallways, reminds me of high school.