2.24.2012

Jungle Walk

One of the best drinks I've ever had is the wild jungle honey punch we tried a few days ago. The bees that produce the honey gather nectar from dozens of Amazonian plants and the result is a very thin, flower-tasting honey. It's so rare to find the honey outside the jungle because it's reserved as a holy water for those that live in the wild. These are wasps below, but the photo made me think of the bees.

Yesterday we took off into the heart of darkness to see what's out there. First stop, lime tree leaf sniffing.

Nannie and Poppa, I've found your distant relatives in Peru. They both care for the flowers of the forests and know their edible and medicinal purposes.

Guiding us through the high waters. During flooding times, it's best to wear flip flops.

Looking at the high water. Due to the rain we've had most of the trails are now lakes and rivers.

Carrying fruit over a makeshift bridge.


Edible?



After a long days walk we sat and watched the sunset from the star deck.




During dusk I played in the mud by the river looking for boas. The biologist that passed through two days ago said the way to find them is to take a dump in the woods and one normally sneaks up behind when you least expect it. Ah, science. I think hanging a dead mouse in a tree will work too... Anyways, while getting all muddy I noticed what looked to be like oil leeching from the soil. It smelled and tasted natural and I think is a byproduct of organic decay along the hillside since it's no where near any place where gas or oil is stored. Covered in it, I thought to myself... why do brothers go to war of this stuff? Why have we put machines in front of nature? I think we should be fighting for the protection of the forests and fresh water before even thinking about going to war over things we can never fully obtain.... gold, oil, power, etc.







Dinnertime.


Alligator, rice, mashed potatoes, fried yucca, fresh guacamolli and a spicy pica de gallo.