2.15.2009

The Last Sunday Brunch

Over the last 3 weeks I have been the person in charge of the salad/fruit line, aka cold side. I love it because when 8,000 lbs of freshies come in... I get to play with at least half of the order. That's a lot of fruit... and I can't be more happy :) Lately I have really spiced up the cold side... adding to it my infamous on-demand homemade applesauce, cilantro ranch salad dressing, fresh and crispy italian crutons made with garlic bread, and several cheeses (brie, whisky cheddar, bleu, havarti, etc.). Never before has the cold side been this plump... and my goal is to push all I can just so those leaving the Ice get a nice farewell meal and those arriving for winter get their first, and only, grandest taste of fresh fruit at McMurdo. Below is the brunch set-up... sliced watermelon, cantelope, honey dew, and pineapple... next to bowls of pears, peaches, plums, apples, mandarines, bananas, oranges, and grape fruit. Every piece of fruit is hand-washed and sliced by my beloved knives.
Walking to work this morning I saw this snow-soot groovy scene near the fire station. An hour ago I snagged a picture of it.

Right now it's 9:30 PM and here's what it looks like outside the NSF building. The sun usually touches the horizon around 1 AM based on my calculations. I haven't been up that late for a couple weeks so I don't know if the sun goes behind mountains, or if my calculations are correct, but tomorrow is my day off and tonight may be my only chance to see a mountain sunset, so I will hang in the lounge until midnight then journey to beach to watch the sun. Wish me luck.